Wheelie bins are an inescapable part of modern life, but just because we have to have them, it doesn’t mean you have to have them on display, a great eyesore spoiling your beautiful garden.
If you want to keep your unsightly wheelie bins hidden, you need the best wheelie bin storage – and to help you find it, here are our top picks that will provide solutions to just that problem.
Quick Pick: The Best Wheelie Bin Storage
The Best Wheelie Bin Storage on UK Market
1. Duramax Cedargrain StoreAway 850L Plastic Garden Storage Shed
If you need a way to keep your wheelie bins stored safely while also not detracting from your garden’s look, this attractive wheelie bin shed could be just the thing. It has an 850-litre capacity, so it can hold two bins comfortably and is available in two different colours.
However, note that the bins it is designed to hold are 120-litre versions, so you won’t be able to fit in two of the standard 240-litre versions that are most commonly used in the UK.
We like the way it opens at the top as well as from the front, making it easy to access the bins inside, and the doors are also lockable (padlock not supplied), so you’ll feel reassured that nobody else can get to your bins.
On the downside, this storage is not 100% waterproof – this means it’s fine for your bins or anything else that won’t be damaged by a bit of rain, but if you need to keep things dry, this might not be the best pick.
Also, construction is a bit tricky – and this isn’t helped by the poor instructions that come with it – but once it’s done, you should be happy with the results, and you’ll only have to go through the assembly process once.
All in all, a great pick if you want an attractive yet secure solution for storing your bins that could also be used for storing other outdoor items. It’s reasonably priced too, so if that sounds like the kind of thing you’re looking for, this model could be worth considering.
- Lockable doors – to keep your bins safe
- 850-litre capacity – large enough to hold two wheelie bins
- Opens at the top or from the front – for convenient access
- Weatherproof – and resistant to UV rays
- Attractive woodgrain look – won’t be an eyesore in your garden
- Not completely waterproof – not for storing anything that rain can damage
- Construction difficult – and not helped by poor instructions
2. TOOMAX Storaway 842L Outdoor Garden Plastic Storage Shed Box
This garden storage box has a maximum capacity of 842 litres and is available in two colours, allowing you to choose the one that will look best in your garden. The doors open wide, and the lid lifts up too, making it easy to access the contents.
You can lock the doors and top with a padlock (not supplied), and the box is waterproof, so you should be able to store things like garden cushions inside too. We also like the way it’s easy to assemble – you should be able to do the job in under an hour or so.
The main problem with this storage box is that it isn’t large enough for regular UK wheelie bins, so if that’s what you need it for, this is not the product for you. However, for smaller bins or storing anything else, it’s ideal.
Also, the back is quite flimsy, so you’ll need to place it against a wall – but even so, it’s not a secure storage option if you want to keep anything valuable inside.
In sum, a good choice for smaller wheelie bins or any other garden items you want to store – but if you want something for your regular UK bins or something that will keep more expensive items safe, this is probably not it.
- Wide doors – easy to put bins inside
- Opens on top too – for extra convenience
- Lockable doors – important for keeping your bins safe
- Water-resistant – keeps everything protected inside
- Easy to assemble – can be done in an hour or less
- Back panels not secure – needs to be placed against a wall
- Won’t hold standard size wheelie bins – but ideal for smaller versions
3. Keter Store-It Out Midi Outdoor Plastic Garden Storage Shed
Keter is a company that produces a range of outdoor storage solutions, and this plastic shed is among their best. It is large enough to hold two 120-litre wheelie bins, but it can also be used to store just about anything else you need.
Inside, it has built-in shelf supports to make it easy to fit shelves and keep your stuff organised. The floor is heavy-duty, and there’s also a sloped threshold that makes it easier to push wheelie bins in and out.
However, the main issue here is that it is only designed for 120-litre wheelie bins, so you shouldn’t buy it if you need something to store regular-sized ones in. Also, the instructions are not the best, and although it’s easy to construct, the doors are a pain to put on.
This could be a great option if you need outdoor storage for smaller wheelie bins or anything else – but this won’t be a good pick if you want somewhere to put larger regular-sized wheelie bins.
- Holds 2 120-litre wheelie bins – or can also be used for storing other garden items
- Stylish design – realistic wood effect panels
- Heavy-duty floor – keeps everything dry and protected
- Built-in shelf support – helps you organise your stuff
- Sloped threshold – makes it easier to push a wheelie bin in
- Too small for standard wheelie bins – will only accommodate 120-litre version
- Poor instructions – and doors a little difficult to put on
4. Rowlinson BINTRPL1 Triple Bin Store
For anyone looking for storage for their regular-sized UK wheelie bins, this could be the solution you’ve been searching for. Since it’s made of real wood, it looks better than a lot of plastic versions, and the wood is pressure-treated to prevent it from rotting.
We like the opening system that uses chains to open the lid of your wheelie bin when you open the wooden lid – and there’s also a system for holding the lids open to free up your hands.
The instructions supplied are well written in clear English, but unfortunately, it’s still not so easy to put together. You’ll need moderate DIY skills for the job, so don’t imagine this is just like putting together some shelves from Ikea.
Other than that, the main issue is the price since this is not a cheap pick – but if you want something that looks great and is the right size for your standard bins, this is still a great option if you don’t mind meeting the slightly steep price tag.
- Designed to hold standard UK wheelie bins – a great way to keep them safe
- Attractive wooden design – looks better than many plastic versions
- Lids with chains – opens the lid of your bin when you lift it
- Pressure-treated wood – to prevent rot
- Good instructions – written in clear English
- Not easy to construct – will need some moderate DIY skills
- Not cheap – a more expensive option
5. Selections Willow Wheelie Bin Screen
If you think the wooden wheelie bin storage above sounds too expensive – and too much like hard work to build – this simple wheelie bin screen could be a better choice.
The screen is made of real willow, creating a stylish and attractive look that is far more appealing than a line of plastic bins. They’re also super-easy to put together – all you do is fit the four screens together and you’re done, and they’re stronger than you might think, too.
One issue with these is that since they don’t have lids, they won’t keep rats and some other pests out because they’ll just be able to climb over the top. Also, the wood doesn’t come pre-treated, so you’ll have to do it yourself if you want your screens to last.
This is a great idea and a wheelie bin storage solution we liked a lot. It’s relatively inexpensive, simple to use and has an appealing look – so if you’re after an easy and effective way to hide your ugly bins, this could be just what you need.
- Stylish look – made from real woven willow
- Great way to hide bins – much more attractive than leaving them on display
- Large enough for 2 regular or 3 small bins – but 3 large ones might be a squeeze
- Easy to construct – simply link up the 4 separate panels
- Sturdy and well-made – stronger than you might imagine
- Won’t keep out rats – they will just climb over the top
- Doesn’t come pre-treated – although easy enough to do yourself
6. Gr8 Garden Patio Willow Wheelie Bin Screen
This is another willow screen very much like the one we just looked at above, so if you liked that idea, this is another possibility to compare it with.
Since it’s made of real willow, it creates an attractive rustic look in your garden while hiding your wheelie bins or any other unsightly items behind the screen. You can easily fit two regular wheelie bins behind this, and you may even be able to squeeze three in together.
You shouldn’t have too much trouble assembling this item, especially if you have two people working together – although one complaint we have is that it doesn’t come with instructions, so you’ll have to work out how to do it yourself.
Also, you may find it’s vulnerable to strong wind, so the best advice is to set it up in a place with some shelter – or perhaps to attach it to a wall.
In short, another simple but effective solution for hiding your bins, and if you like this style, it’s certainly another option that should be on your radar.
- Does a great job of hiding bins – fits 2 or perhaps even 3 large wheelie bins
- Made of real willow – attractive look for your garden
- Simple assembly – especially for 2 people working together
- Inexpensive option – far more affordable than wheelie bins sheds
- Versatile screen – can be used to hide any unsightly items in your garden
- Vulnerable to strong wind – best when placed somewhere more sheltered
- No instructions – have to work out how to build it yourself
7. vidaXL Double Wheelie Bin Shed
There are quite a few imitation wood wheelie bin storage options available, but this one has a far more original design since it’s made of polyethene that’s made to look like rattan.
We think it looks great, and it also gives you plenty of storage space for wheelie bins or anything else. It’s easy to build, and once done, it will add a stylish decorative element to your garden that’s much more attractive than exposed wheelie bins.
On the downside, it doesn’t do well in rainy spots, so if you can install it somewhere with a bit of shelter, it will last longer. Also, be aware that it has no floor, so your wheelie bins will be standing directly on the ground below.
We like this product for the way it looks as well as its convenience and ease of use – and if those are qualities you value, this is an option that’s worth considering.
- Rattan design – more original than imitation wood
- Looks great – will add a stylish element to your garden
- Can be fixed to floor – with a powder-coated steel frame
- Easy to build – shouldn’t take too long to construct
- Can be used to keep other items inside – increases your storage options
- Doesn’t do so well in direct rain – better if installed somewhere with a little shelter
- No floor – your bins will stand directly on the ground below
8. Triple Wooden Wheelie Bin Store
For anyone looking for a storage option that’s large enough to accommodate three full-sized UK wheelie bins, this one could be a great pick. It is lockable, and due to the slatted design, it allows air to escape, preventing the build-up of unpleasant odours.
It looks great and is easy to put together, but one thing we don’t like so much is the fact that if it isn’t closed with a padlock, the doors can just swing open since there’s nothing to hold them closed.
Also, it isn’t the sturdiest of constructions – it’s fine for wheelie bins, but if you want to keep valuable items like bikes safe, this might not be secure enough.
To summarise, a solid pick for anyone who needs somewhere convenient to store their UK wheelie bins or other garden items – but not the best option if you need somewhere to keep valuables safe outside.
- Designed to hold 3 240-litre wheelie bins – the standard size in the UK
- Lockable doors – to keep your bins safe inside
- Versatile storage – can also be used to keep other outdoor stuff tidy
- Slatted design – allows air to flow, preventing build-up of bad smells
- Includes fixing kit – to attach it to a wall
- Doors need to be locked closed – otherwise can just swing open
- Not sturdy – not strong enough for storing valuable items inside
9. MonsterShop Double Wheelie Bin Store
If you like the sound of the storage system above but only have two bins to hide, this could be a better pick. It’s made by the same company and is designed for standard UK wheelie bins, but this is a smaller two-bin version.
This storage is easy to build, looks great and can even be painted if you prefer a different colour. We also think that at this kind of price point, it represents great value for money too.
One minor grumble we have is that the chains on the lids are not of great quality and can break if you’re not careful. Also, as with the larger model, the doors don’t stay closed if not locked, and they may blow open in the wind.
However, these minor drawbacks aside, as an affordable way to hide unsightly wheelie bins, this is an outstanding pick, making it another option that’s worth considering.
- Ideal storage option for 2 bins – designed for regular UK wheelie bins
- Easy to build – shouldn’t take long to construct
- Can be painted – if you prefer a different colour
- Looks great – much better than a pair of ugly wheelie bins
- Inexpensive option – great value at this kind of price
- Chains on lids not strong – need to be careful not to break them
- Doors can blow open – need to be padlocked to keep them shut
10. Wheelie Bin Storage
This is a top-end wheelie bin storage solution that is designed for three full-sized UK bins – but it’s also available in versions for one or two bins if that’s all you need.
It is a solid unit that’s built to last, and the wood is pressure-treated, meaning it can resist rot for up to 15 years. You can build it as a free-standing structure, but it can also be set up against a wall, giving you plenty of flexibility over installation.
Our main gripe is that it’s a bit tricky to construct, and you’ll need to set aside the best part of an afternoon to make sure you have enough time to finish the job.
Other than that, the only other downside is the price since this is the most expensive option we’ve seen – but we still think it’s worth the money, and if you don’t mind paying a bit more for a higher-quality product, this is an option that should appeal.
- Classy look – stylish solution to wheelie bin storage
- Solid construction – built to last
- Pressure-treated wood – will resist rot for up to 15 years
- Freestanding structure – or can be placed against a wall
- Large enough for full-sized wheelie bins – or most other items you’ll need to store
- Challenging job to build – set aside at least half a day to be sure
- Expensive option – but still well worth what you pay for it
If you’re looking for wheelie bin storage, you’ll probably be wondering about the kind of features you should take note of when choosing – so let’s think about this now.
Able to fit standard wheelie bin
The standard size of a UK wheelie bin is 240 litres, with dimensions of 107cm in height by 58cm in width by 74cm in depth. This doesn’t necessarily mean that your council uses this size, but it’s something you should check before you buy wheelie bin storage.
To find out the size of your wheelie bin, you simply need to check the bin itself since the dimensions and capacity will be written on it.
This means that the first thing you should do before buying wheelie bin storage is to find out which type you have to make sure that any storage you buy will be large enough to house them.
Depending on what you want to keep inside it, you may prefer to choose wheelie bin storge that is waterproof. However, if you only need somewhere to put bins and nothing else, waterproofing might not be so important.
Lockable and secure
Other than keeping ugly bins out of sight, another reason you might want dedicated storage is to keep them safe. Furthermore, if you want to keep things like bicycles in the same place, you’ll want something that will be able to keep would-be thieves at bay.
This means you need to pay attention to security. Can it be locked? How solid is it? How easy is it to break into? Depending on what you need it for and where you live, considerations like these may be important.
Easy to put together
Most wheelie bin storage solutions need to be assembled, so it’s a good idea to check how easy a job it will be. Will you be able to do it on your own or will you need help? How long will it take? And will you need any special tools? These are all important points to consider.
Think about which kind of material is best suited to your needs.
Plastic is weather-resistant and offers a good level of waterproofing. It’s among the cheapest options, and it also requires only minimal maintenance.
However, many people feel wood looks better, although it can be more expensive – and it will also need treatment and regular maintenance if you want it to last a long time.
Many great options to pick from
As you can see, when it comes to wheelie bin storage, there are many great options to choose from. If you’ve decided you need somewhere to keep your bins but are having a hard time deciding, any of the picks from our review would be a great place to start your search.