When it comes to storage, both indoors and out, rattan is an ever-popular style. Whether you prefer real rattan or imitation plastic rattan, it provides a classic rustic look that many people adore.
Nowadays, when it comes to storage boxes, there is a huge range to choose from, and making up your mind can be a challenge. So to help, here are our top picks for best rattan storage box to make sure you find the perfect one for your needs.
Quick Pick: The Best Rattan Storage Box
The Best Rattan Storage Box on UK Market 2021
1. Bblina 6-Pack Small White Plastic Weave Rattan Storage Basket Box
For anyone on the lookout for a convenient and affordable storage solution, this pack of six white plastic rattan boxes could be just the thing. They are the ideal size for organising the contents of a cupboard or a wardrobe and can be packed away small when not in use.
These boxes are highly versatile and can be used for a range of purposes. Since they’re made of plastic, they’re easy to clean – they won’t hold any stains – and they feature an attractive weave pattern that also allows for ventilation.
There’s not much wrong with these boxes, but we should point out that they aren’t stackable, so you won’t be able to place one on top of the other when they’re full. Also, they don’t have lids, so if that’s important to you, this might not be a great choice.
Other than that, these boxes could be a great option for anyone looking to add extra storage to their home. They’re simple, lightweight and affordable – and if that sounds like what you need, these boxes should be worth checking out.
- Pack of six – convenient storage option
- Great small size – ideal for organising cupboards
- Sturdy boxes – should last a long time
- Easy to clean – won’t stain or get dirty easily
- Nested design – for extra convenience when not in use
- Not stackable – can’t place one on top of another when full
- No lid – open at the top
2. Keter Borneo Outdoor Plastic Storage Box
If you are looking for a large rattan-style storage box to keep your outdoor items stored safely, this option from Keter could be ideal. It has a generous volume of over 400 litres, and it’s also sturdy enough to sit on, giving you extra seating as well as storage for your garden.
One feature we like a lot is the piston-assisted opening mechanism that makes it easier to open and close. It’s also easy to assemble, and once built, it is weather-resistant, so it will keep all your stuff safe inside.
That said, if it is wet when you open the lid, water tends to drip inside, so you need to wipe it down before opening if you want to prevent this. Also, the instructions for assembly are quite limited, but since it’s so easy to work out, this shouldn’t put you off buying it.
Overall, an attractive storage box that will look great in most modern garden settings. It gives you somewhere convenient to store all your stuff, and although it isn’t the cheapest option, it still represents good value for money, making this an option that should be of interest.
- Large capacity – over 400-litre volume
- Sturdy unit – strong enough to sit on
- Easy to assemble – shouldn’t take too long to build
- Piston-assisted lid – easy to open and close
- Weather-resistant – will keep your stuff dry
- Drips if wet when opened – need to wipe down before opening
- Instructions limited – but fairly simple to work out anyway
3. DOKOT Seagrass Storage Baskets with Lid Natural Rattan Woven Rectangular Organizer Box
These rattan-style baskets made from natural seagrass will appeal to anyone who enjoys a classic rustic style – and for us, the way they look is one of the major selling points because simply put, they’re beautiful.
Since they are available in several sizes, you can choose the one that best suits your needs, and they are suitable for a range of different uses. We also like the fact they have a lid, which is fastened by a cute tie.
That said, they aren’t particularly heavy-duty, so if you need something that will be able to take a bit of punishment, this is not it. Also, the fastening for the lid looks to be a weak link, so you’ll have to treat it gently if you want it to last.
In sum, these baskets are ideal for someone looking for an attractive storage option in a rustic style and who doesn’t need something tough and durable – and if that describes what you’re looking for, this is an option that should be on your radar.
- Pretty and attractive style – classic rustic look
- Natural material – made of natural seagrass
- Available in different sizes – choose the best one for your needs
- Versatile box – can be used for a range of storage applications
- Includes lid – with cute latch to hold it closed
- Not very solid – not great if you need something strong and heavy-duty
- Slight concerns over durability – especially the fastener for the lid
4. CURVER Aspect Rotin Style 205839 Storage with Second-Generation Lid Polypropylene
Here’s an exceptional rattan-style plastic storage box from Curver. It is well made and benefits from an attractive natural look combined with all the benefits of being made of plastic. Since it comes with a lid, you can also place several on top of each other for extra convenience.
Another positive is that this box is available in different sizes and colours, meaning you should have no trouble finding the perfect model for your needs. The price is also very reasonable, making this a real bargain.
We have few complaints here, but we might say that the lid seems slightly flimsy – although as long as you don’t try standing on it or something like that, it should still last a long time. Also, the lid can be a bit tricky to fit in place at first, although you’ll quickly get used to it.
All in all, a highly recommended product that does the job it was made for perfectly and that is very affordable for what it is. Another storage solution that’s well worth considering.
- Natural look – but with the convenience of plastic
- Generally sturdy – can be used for storing almost anything
- Comes with a lid – and can be placed one on top of the other
- Available in different sizes and colours – find the right one for you
- Very reasonable price – a bargain for a quality item
- Lid slightly flimsy – although will last well if you don’t abuse it
- Lid a little hard to fit in place – takes getting used to
5. Prosperplast Rato Plus Garden Storage Box Storage Box Rattan 290L Tarrase
Sometimes you need extra storage space in the garden, but you don’t necessarily want to spend a fortune on high-end garden furniture – in which case, something like this imitation rattan plastic storage box could be ideal.
Boasting a simple yet stylish design, it will look great in any garden, and since it’s easy to clean, maintenance will be minimal. We like the way the lid can be secured with a padlock, and the handles and wheels make it convenient to move around.
On the downside, it’s not a high-quality box – although, for this kind of price, it’s good enough and what you’d expect. Also, bear in mind that it’s not designed to be a sturdy box you can sit on, but its still a great place to store kids’ toys or other outdoor items like garden cushions.
In short, a great pick for anyone who wants to add extra storage to their outdoor area but who doesn’t want to spend lots of money on anything too expensive – so if you’re looking for something in that kind of category, this could be just the thing.
- Budget-friendly storage option – no need to spend a fortune
- Great look – attractive imitation rattan plastic
- Includes handles and wheels – easy to move around
- Lockable lid – includes a latch for a padlock
- Easy to clean – low maintenance box
- Not high quality – although acceptable at this price point
- Not so sturdy – not suitable for sitting on
6. Yarebest Plastic Rattan Basket Set
If you are looking for a versatile storage option that can be used for just about anything, this pack of six rattan-style plastic boxes could be just what you need. They are suitable for a range of purposes and can be used in the kitchen, bathroom, a child’s bedroom or anywhere else.
Since they’re available in two different colours, you can choose the one you prefer, and we like the attractive minimalist design. They’re sturdy too, and you can expect them to last a long time, which means you’re getting great value for money.
Some people might not like the fact they don’t have lids – these are designed for open storage only. The lack of lids also means they can’t be stacked, although you can store them inside each other when empty and not in use to save space.
All in all, an option that’s worth checking out if you want an inexpensive way to keep all kinds of things organised in your home. They’re a bargain at this price, and they do their job perfectly, making them another recommended pick.
- Versatile storage solution – suitable for the kitchen, bathroom or anywhere else
- Affordable option – low price for a pack of 6
- Sturdy boxes – good quality for the price
- Attractive look – minimalist and stylish
- Available in 2 colours – either black or grey
- Boxes don’t have lids – open storage only
- Can’t be stacked when full – although can be nested when empty
7. IKEA BRANÄS Rattan Basket Storage Box
If you believe rattan should mean rattan and not plastic or some other material, this storage box is for you – because it’s made of the real thing. It’s an Ikea product, so if you know Ikea, you know exactly the kind of quality to expect, and it looks highly attractive too.
We appreciate the fact that it has handles, making it easy to pick up and carry, and since it’s lightweight, it will be easy to move it around whenever you need to. This is a practical storage option that will help you keep all kinds of items organised.
One minor negative to mention is that you may find some small imperfections – although that’s because it’s made of a natural material, so it’s to be expected. Some people might also find it a bit expensive, but even so, if you don’t mind paying more, it’s still a great product.
To summarise, an attractive storage solution that’s typical of Ikea. It’s a true rattan box we liked a lot, and we’re sure lots of people will agree. So if this is a style that appeals to you, it could be a great pick.
- Beautiful look – will appeal to people who like a natural style
- Includes handles – makes it easier to carry
- Real rattan – not imitation rattan or a rattan substitute
- Lightweight box – easy to pick up and carry
- Good quality – typical of Ikea products
- Some small imperfections – because it’s made of a natural material
- A little expensive for one basket – although not excessively so
8. Keter Capri Outdoor Plastic Storage Box Garden Furniture
This plastic rattan-style storage box from Keter has a volume of 305 litres and is designed to be waterproof, so it’s a great option if you need something to keep all your stuff dry outside. It’s also made of weather-resistant and fade-resistant material, so it’s ideal for garden use.
Since it has wheels on the bottom, it’s easy to move about, and it’s also lockable, so it provides a certain amount of security for whatever you choose to store inside.
One negative to point out concerns the plastic hinges, which are quite flimsy – so you’ll need to be careful when opening and closing the lid. Also, although the manufacturer claims it’s safe to sit on, we’d be concerned about it collapsing if adults tried to use it as a seat.
However, despite these minor issues, this is still a great option if you need an attractive and convenient rattan-style storage box for your garden – because in that category, this one ticks all the boxes.
- Lockable for security – includes a latch for a padlock
- Weather-resistant and fade-resistant – suitable for outdoor use
- Easy to assemble – most people will have it done in no time
- Waterproof design – should keep everything dry inside
- Includes wheels – makes it easier to move about
- Fragile hinges – need to be careful when opening or closing it
- Not strong enough to sit on – despite manufacturer’s claims
9. Rinboat Multi-Colour Rectangle Plastic Rattan Woven Storage Shelf Baskets Organiser
Here’s another affordable rattan storage idea, and what we love about this is that each box is a different colour, so they would be perfect for a family – each person could have their own colour.
They’re an ideal size for organising cupboards, and the handles make them easy to carry.
Since they sell for such a reasonable price, it’s hard to criticise these boxes. However, if we had to pick holes, we might say they are slightly flimsy, so they’re not ideal if you need heavy-duty storage. Also, they don’t have lids – they’re designed for open storage only.
That said, if you just need a set of rattan-style plastic boxes that are suitable for most storage applications, this set would be a great pick – especially if you are looking for something at the more affordable end of the price scale. Another product we liked a lot.
- Pack of several different colours – so everyone can have a box
- Open design – ideal if you need ventilated storage
- Handles on each side – more convenient for carrying
- Convenient size – great for organising cupboards or wardrobes
- Extremely reasonable price – you can hardly go wrong
- A little flimsy – may break if you treat them too harshly
- No lids – not ideal if you want to close things away inside
10. vidaXL Garden Storage Box
With dimensions of 120cm x 50cm x 60cm, this rattan storage box boasts a generous capacity that is large enough to accommodate a whole range of garden items like cushions, kids’ toys and more. It’s also waterproof, so it will keep everything dry and protected inside.
The lid features an assisted opening and closing mechanism that also prevents slamming, and inside, there’s a liner attached with Velcro that helps keep everything safe.
One slight drawback is that, despite the sturdy powder-coated steel frame, it still isn’t strong enough to support the weight of an adult, so it isn’t suitable if you want something to sit on.
Other than that, the main issue is the price since it isn’t the cheapest option. However, you expect to pay more for quality, and if you don’t mind paying a bit extra to get your hands on a superior product, this is a rattan storage box that should appeal.
- Large size – big enough to store a range of garden items
- Includes liner – attached with Velcro
- Waterproof storage box – will keep your garden stuff dry
- Assisted opening and closing mechanism – also prevents slamming
- Sturdy powder-coated steel frame – for extra strength
- Can’t sit on it – not strong enough to hold the weight of an adult
- Expensive option – but still good value
If you’re looking for the best rattan storage box, you’re probably wondering about the kinds of thing you should pay attention to when choosing. So let’s think about that now.
Real rattan or imitation?
The first question is, do you want real rattan or imitation?
Real rattan (or other similar natural materials) can look great, adding a stylish rustic element to your space. However, they won’t last forever, and keeping them clean and in perfect conditions takes more work.
Imitation plastic rattan, on the other hand, doesn’t look quite as good as the real thing – but it requires little to no maintenance and will last a long time. The prices are often lower too.
Easy to clean
As we just mentioned, plastic boxes are easier to clean than ones made out of natural materials, so you should think about what you need them for.
If you are looking for a box for food or toiletries, choosing one that’s easier to clean could be a better option.
Lockable lid and security
Some boxes, especially those intended for outdoor use, come with a lockable latch that will prevent people from gaining access to the box, and if you want to store valuable items inside, this is something to look out for.
Also, if you want to keep your things safe, make sure the box is secure too – if the box is too flimsy, even if it has a lock, it may still be easy to break open.
Size and volume
A key consideration is how big the box is and how much storage space it provides, so if you are planning to store specific items in it, make sure you take careful measurements to make sure they will fit.
If you want to store things like garden cushions in a rattan box in your garden, you need to make sure it is completely waterproof – otherwise, you may find your cushions get wet and suffer damage when it rains.
Able to support your weight
If you want to add extra seating to your garden as well as storage, a rattan box can be a great option – but if this is your plan, make sure any box you choose can hold your weight because not all are designed to be sat on.
Pay attention to a box’s overall durability, especially if you are planning on buying a more expensive outdoor model.
Plenty of great options to choose from
As you can see, whether you want real rattan or imitation and whether you want something large or more compact, there is a wide range of storage options to choose from.
And if you have decided you want a rattan storage box for your home or your garden but you are having trouble deciding which to go for, any of the picks in our review would be a great place to start your search