If you want a beautiful-looking garden, one way to achieve it is to install fixed edges. However, there are many ways to go about doing this, and you may be having trouble making up your mind about which option to go for.
So, for anybody facing this kind of dilemma, here are our suggestions for the best lawn edging ideas to help you find the one that works best for you.
The Best Lawn Edging Ideas 2021
The Best Lawn Edging Ideas
1. ASCENDTING Flexible Plastic Lawn Edging
If you’re looking for a simple and effective solution for your lawn edges – yet one that won’t cost you a fortune – this is an option that should be of interest. It’s made of tough plastic that’s made to last, and it’s sturdy enough to stay in place, keeping your borders in great shape.
We like the way it’s so easy to install. It doesn’t require any digging, and all you need to do is push it into the ground in the shape you want. You can create curves or straight edges just as easily, and it also comes with a set of long nails to use for fixing it in place.
That said, we would have preferred a few more nails than you get to fix it more securely, although the ones it comes with still do the job. Also, at just 5cm in height, some people might prefer something a bit taller, but this depends on how you plan to use it.
In sum, a handy solution for defining the edges of your lawn, allowing you to sculpt any shapes you desire. It’s easy to use and sells at a very reasonable price point, making it a lawn edging solution that should be worth checking out.
- Versatile option – ideal for creating straight lines or curves
- Quick and easy no-dig installation – simply push in into the ground
- Includes nails for fixing in place – no need to buy extra hardware
- Made of durable plastic – should last a long time
- Strong material – will keep your edges looking sharp
- Could do with more nails – but the ones it comes with still do the job
- Not very high – only 5cm tall
2. FlexiBorder – Lawn Edging
This lawn edging idea from FlexiBorder is a high-quality option that will add a stylish look to the borders of any lawn. It’s made of soft rubber, so it’s safe for gardens where children play, and the rubber is also recycled, making it an ecological choice too.
However, even though it’s designed for straight edges or curves, if you try to make turns that are too sharp with it, you’ll find installation a bit trickier since it will be hard to get the ends to sit perfectly flush. For gentle curves, on the other hand, you won’t have any trouble.
Other than this, the main issue is the price since this is not a cheap option – but you have to expect to pay more for quality, and if you’re the kind of person who prefers to pay extra for a superior product, this is the kind of edging solution that should appeal.
- Lawnmower-safe you won’t damage it when you cut the grass
- Soft material – safe for children
- Made of recycled rubber – an ecological option
- Easy to install – and everything included to do the job
- Designed and manufactured in the UK – support local companies
- Not ideal for tighter angles – although good for gentler turns
- Expensive item – but you expect to pay more for quality
3. Log Roll Border Fixed Picket Fence
For those who prefer a more natural look, this log roll border fence could be a great idea. It comes in sections of 1m, and all you need to do to install them is set them in place and then hammer the ends into the ground to fix them.
We appreciate the classic wooden style, and if you prefer a different colour, it’s easy to paint or stain. Once it’s in place, it should last a long time, and we also like the fact that this is an option that gives you a bit of extra height.
On the downside, you can only use this edging for straight lines. It isn’t possible to use it for curves – although you can create angles at the end of each piece.
Also, some people might be put off by the price since this product is a little expensive – however, for what you get, we still feel this edging represents decent value for money.
Overall, a great option if you like a natural wooden look or if you’re looking for a taller, more pronounced edging solution – and if that sounds like the kind of thing you’re after, this could be a great pick.
- Great natural look – made of real wood
- Easy to install – simply hammer the end pieces into the ground
- Easy to stain or paint – if you want to change the colour
- Sturdy and durable – will last a long time once in place
- Good height – if you need something a bit taller for your edges
- Not the cheapest – although decent value for money
- Can only be used for straight edges – not possible to create curves
4. Log Rolls Lawn Border Edging
If you like the sound of the edging roll above but need something that will allow you to create curves, this is a similar product that could be a great alternative.
The wood is pressure-treated, making it resistant to mould and rot, and once in place, it will delineate your borders while adding an attractive element to your garden.
We like the way it’s so easy to install, so just about anyone will be able to do it. However, it doesn’t have any spikes to hold it in place, so you just need to hammer it into the ground instead.
Also, some people might feel it isn’t of the highest quality – but it’s not supposed to be. Rather, it’s intended as a cost-effective edging solution that does the job without breaking the bank – and for something in that kind of category, with this log roll, you can hardly go wrong.
- Suitable for curves and corners – a versatile log roll option
- Pressure-treated – resistant to rot
- Simple to install – most people should be able to manage with no trouble
- Attractive style – adds an appealing decorative element to your garden
- Good value – a great deal for this kind of price
- No spikes for installation – you just hammer them into the ground
- Not top quality – intended as an inexpensive edging solution
5. Lawn Edging 5m Anthracite Grey Flexible Steel
If you prefer a more modern, contemporary look, this steel lawn edging could be a good pick. It comes in pieces of just over a metre in length, and at 10cm in height, it’s ideal for a range of border applications.
Since it’s made of strong steel, this edging will last a long time once in place. Installation is a breeze too – each piece simply clips into the one next to it, so you won’t need any special tools for the job. It is suitable for straight edges as well as curved borders.
That said, if you want to use it for curved edges, it will be a bit of a tougher job – and perhaps easier with two people working together. However, it can be done, and the results will look great when it’s finished.
This is also another expensive option, and the price will soon add up if you need to use it for longer borders.
This means it might not be the best choice if you’re looking for an inexpensive edging option – but if you like this kind of modern look and you don’t mind paying a bit extra for a high-quality product, this is an edging solution that should appeal.
- Strong steel construction – will last practically forever
- Easy installation – pieces simply clip together
- Flexible design – suitable for creating curves
- Stylish modern aesthetic – for contemporary-style gardens
- Good height – tall enough for a range of applications
- Expensive option – price will add up for longer borders
- Harder work when used for bends – although still works well
6. Ram® 10M Metre Flexible Plastic Lawn Edging Border Fence
Anyone interested in more budget-friendly garden edging solutions would do well to consider this product. It’s a 10m strip of plastic edging that you simply place in the ground and attach using the plastic pegs supplied.
Once in place, it’s strong and will hold its shape well, and since it’s made of weather-resistant plastic, it won’t deteriorate over time due to exposure to the elements. We like the way it’s so versatile, and you can use it to create a range of effects in your garden.
However, one slight negative is that installation can be a bit of a challenge. It can be a frustrating job trying to bend it into the desired shape, and you also need to be careful it doesn’t snap while you’re bending it.
Having said that, once the job is done, most people will be more than satisfied with the results, so if you don’t mind spending a bit of time getting it done – preferably with someone helping – this could be a smart solution for adding some relatively inexpensive edging to your lawn.
- Strong once in place – will keep your edges looking great
- Weather-resistant – won’t degrade through exposure to the elements
- Comes with plenty of pegs for fitting – simply hammer them in to fix it in place
- Versatile product – can be used to create a range of effects
- Reasonable price – good value for money
- A little flimsy during installation – need to be careful not to break it
- Can be difficult to get the right shape – may take some perseverance
7. Ribbonboard 4.0 flexible plastic lawn edging
If you’re interested in the Ram plastic lawn edging above and you want to compare it with similar products, this version from Ribbonboard should also be worth a look. It’s black in colour, 10m in length and includes all the pegs you need to fix it in place.
It’s easy to cut and simple to install, making it ideal for a range of creative edging projects. Since it’s made of 100% recyclable polypropylene, it’s an ecological choice too.
The only negatives are minor. First, the pegs are a little flimsy and apt to break if you hammer them into hard ground – but you can easily get round this by making holes first with something a little sturdier. Also, there are no instructions for use, but it easy to work out how to do it.
In short, another great affordable edging solution and one that’s worth a look if you want something flexible and easy to work with.
- Flexible product – suitable for creating even tight curves
- Includes pegs for installation – to hold the edging in place
- Sturdy option – will last a long time
- Easy to cut to size – makes it simple to work with
- Great value – an affordable way to add clean edges to your lawn
- Pegs not strong – may need to pre-drill holes in hard ground
- No instructions for use – although quite easy to work out how to do it
8. Cellfast Lawn Edging Palisade
While wood is an attractive material, sometimes plastic can be a more convenient choice, so this is an imitation wood lawn edging idea for those who like the look of wood but prefer the low maintenance of plastic.
The pieces fit together easily, and you can use this product to make straight or curved edges. Installation is simple, and the plastic it is made of is designed to be resistant to both frost and heat, so it shouldn’t degrade through exposure to the changing weather.
On the downside, the pieces are a little flimsy, so you need to be careful not to break them during installation. Once in place, it becomes sturdier and should last a long time – although it still isn’t as strong as wood and could be damaged by a lawnmower, for example.
This product good pick for anyone who likes the look of wood but doesn’t have the time to look after it. It’s an affordable option, and most people will be pleased with the way it looks when installed, making this another option to consider.
- Flexible edging idea – can be used for straight or curved borders
- Pieces fit together easily – facilitates installation
- Natural appearance – designed to look like wood but with the advantages of plastic
- Resistant to heat and frost – won’t be affected by the changing weather
- Low maintenance – require very little attention once in place
- A little flimsy during installation – need to be careful when using a mallet
- Not as sturdy as wood – easier to damage
9. VOUNOT Plastic Garden Edging
There are quite a few options when it comes to simple plastic lawn edging, but this one is of higher quality than most. It’s a sturdy product that will last practically forever, but it’s also very easy to work with, making it suitable for creating any shapes or patterns you desire.
One thing we particularly like is the strong pegs – they won’t break as easily as those supplied with inferior products.
The edging itself is also made of tough material, but this makes it a little less flexible than some other versions – although if you soak it in warm water, it can help.
The only other issue is the price because it’s more expensive than other similar plastic edgings. However, since the quality is better, we still think it represents good value, making it a solid pick for anyone who doesn’t mind paying more for superior products.
- Superior quality product – solid and well made
- Durable solution – will last practically forever
- Easy to work with – simply cut off pieces for the length you need
- Effortless installation – and includes pegs for securing it in place
- Strong plastic pegs – won’t break easily
- Expensive product – not cheap for a roll of plastic edging
- A little stiff – but can be made more malleable by soaking in warm water
10. Lawn border edge, palisade
Here’s a simple edging idea we liked – and since it’s available in four different colours, you can choose the one that works best in your garden. Installation is extremely simple, and once it’s in place, it requires little maintenance and should last for many years.
However, although it can be used to create curved edges, it is a little brittle, so you need to be careful not to snap it when bending it into shape. Also, the pieces don’t clip together, so you may have trouble lining the pieces up.
These minor niggles aside, this is an excellent edging idea that combines good quality with a very reasonable price tag – and if those are qualities you value, it’s another option that should be on your list of possibilities.
- Great value for money – good quality for this kind of price
- Available in 4 different colours – choose the one best suited to your garden
- Minimal maintenance – doesn’t require much looking-after
- Easy to install – simply place on the ground and knock it in
- Durable material – won’t need replacing for a long time
- Pieces don’t clip together – so a little hard to get them lined up perfectly
- Not flexible – need to be careful not to snap it during installation
If you’re looking for ideas for lawn edging, you’re probably wondering about the kind of thing you should pay attention to when making up your mind – so let’s have a look at that now.
The main three materials you will be able to choose from are wood, plastic and metal.
Wood edging, often sold in the form of log rolls, offers an attractive natural look that many people appreciate. Wood is strong and durable, but it can rot and so may require more maintenance if you want it to last a long time.
Plastic is often cheaper than wood – and once in place, it requires very little maintenance. It is usually one of the cheapest options, but on the downside, some people will think that plastic looks cheap or artificial.
Metal edging is usually a more expensive option, but it can provide a durable border with a contemporary look that many people find attractive.
One of the most important features to look at is the dimensions of the edging you choose.
You should measure the length of your borders so you can work out how much you need to buy, but you should also consider the height of the edging. Do you want a tall, prominent border or do you prefer something more subtle and understated?
Ease of installation
Whichever edging you opt for, unless you pay a professional to do it, you’ll need to install it – so you should pay attention to how it’s done and how easy it will be.
Make sure you also check whether the edging you buy comes with all the necessary fittings required to install it – otherwise, you will have to buy them yourself.
Curves or straight edges
A key feature of garden edging is whether it can be used to create curves or if it is only useful for straight edges. Think about how you want to use it before buying and then make sure you choose one that will allow you to achieve the desired results.
Plenty of great edging ideas to choose from
As you can see, there are many great lawn edging ideas that will help you achieve the stunning garden of your dreams – and many of them are very reasonably priced.
If you have decided you want to add edging to your lawn but are having trouble deciding how to do it, any of the picks from our review would be a great place to start your search.