Most keen gardeners have a range of tools to turn to, but sometimes keeping them tidy and organised can be difficult. So, to help you find the right solution for you, here are our top picks for best garden tool storage that will allow you to keep them all safely in their place.
Quick Pick: The Best Garden Tool Storage
The Best Garden Tool Storage on UK Market 2021
1. CHRISTOW Waterproof Garden Storage Box with Lockable Lid
If you need somewhere to keep your tools, either in a shed or outside in the garden, this large storage box could be just the thing. It’s big enough to hold all kinds of tools or anything else, and it can also be locked, helping keep everything secure inside.
Since it’s waterproof, you won’t need to worry about anything you put in it getting wet. We also like the reinforced lid with aluminium lifts that make it easy to open and close or to prop open. It’s easy to assemble, and you won’t need any extra tools to do it.
One slight negative is the fact that the sides are a little flimsy, so if a determined thief really wanted to get in, it would probably not be too difficult for her to cut through the sides or to break the box open.
Also, the bottom is not the strongest, so you’ll need to be careful when you move it if you don’t take your tools out – although if you just leave it in one place, this won’t be an issue.
These minor gripes aside, this is a great option for tool storage that can also be used to keep other things like garden cushions somewhere safe when not in use. A convenient solution that sells at a reasonable price point, making it well worth checking out.
- Indoor and outdoor storage solution – waterproof box
- Reinforced lid – with sliding aluminium lifts designed to last
- Lockable lid – to keep your garden tools safe
- Versatile storage solution – store tools and more inside
- Tool-free construction – easy to put together in a short time
- Sides not very sturdy – could be broken into by a determined thief
- Flimsy bottom – need to be careful moving it if full
2. Keter Store-It Out Max Outdoor Plastic Garden Storage Shed
For those who don’t want to build a full tool shed in their garden – or those who prefer not to spend that much money on one – a smaller, more affordable alternative could be something like this plastic ‘mini-shed’ from Keter.
It is large enough to hold to full-sized UK wheelie bins – and it has a sloped threshold to make it easier to roll them in and out – but it could also be used to store tools, a barbecue or just about anything else you want.
The lid has an easy-open mechanism for extra convenience, and it’s durable and weatherproof, meaning you will be using this to store your stuff for many years to come. It’s lockable too, giving you somewhere secure to keep your tools.
Some people might find it a bit tricky to assemble, especially since the holes for the screws are not all pre-drilled, and the instructions are not easy to understand either, but most people will still be able to get it done without too much trouble.
Other than that, the main issue is the price since it isn’t cheap, but for a large, high-quality storage solution that will last many years, we still think it represents good value for money, making it a great pick for anyone who needs somewhere to store tools and lots more besides.
- Large size – plenty of space for garden tools and more
- Easy-open lid – makes access more convenient
- Durable and weather-resistant – built to last
- Attractive design – with simple, understated colours
- Sloped threshold – for wheelie bins, barbecues etc.
- Tricky to build – and not pre-drilled for all screws
- Expensive option – although reasonable for what it is
3. Easipet Wooden Garden Shed for Tool Storage
This outdoor tool cupboard is an ideal pick for anyone who wants a smaller storage solution that still offers plenty of space to keep stuff organised. It’s also waterproof, so it will keep everything dry inside, even during a storm.
We love the attractive look – it’s made of high-quality fir wood – and it’s easy enough for anyone to put together using just a screwdriver. We also appreciate the adjustable feet that allow you to set it level, even on uneven ground.
Inside, there are shelves to help keep everything in its place – but on the downside, you can’t adjust the height of the shelves – although this is hardly a major issue. Also, this is another slightly pricey option, although we think it represents great value for money.
In short, a great storage option for gardens tools and other outdoor items that looks great and that will keep everything safe and organised inside. If this is the type of tool storage you’re looking for, then this is a solution that should be high on your list of possibilities.
- Attractive design – made of high-quality fir wood
- Includes shelves for organising your tools – helps keep everything in its place
- Easy to build – can be done in a short time with just a screwdriver
- Adjustable feet – to help get it level on uneven ground
- Waterproof – will keep everything dry, even in a storm
- Shelves not adjustable – only one height possible
- Not cheap – but still great value for money
4. The Complete Tool Rack
If you’re looking for a simpler solution for storing the tools in your shed, this clever rack is an option that could be worth a look. You simply attach it to the wall, and it provides a range of hooks for you to hang your whole collection of garden tools on, keeping them safely organised.
What we like about this, apart from the sheer simplicity of the design, is the fact that it holds so many tools. It will save you loads of space, and since it’s a tough item that’s built to last, you will be using it practically forever. It’s also a great option if you only have a smaller shed.
Our main issue here is with the included instructions since they’re written in very poor English and include no diagrams. Although it’s not difficult to work out how to install it, we find it insulting that the company can’t be bothered to write the instructions properly.
Otherwise, our other gripe is that it’s a bit overpriced for what it is, but it will hardly break the bank, and for the level of convenience it provides, we’d be willing to accept it.
In sum, a great option if you already have a garden shed and are looking for a way to organise your tools better. You’ll need basic DIY skills to fit it, but once it’s up, you can expect to be pleased with the results.
- Simple and convenient storage solution – organise your tools with no fuss
- Holds lots of tools – great way to store your whole collection
- Space-saving rack – ideal for smaller sheds
- Easy to fit – anybody can finish the job in only a short time
- Built to last – you’ll be using it practically forever
- Horrible mounting instructions – written in poor English and without diagrams
- Slightly overpriced – for such a simple item
5. Adjustable Storage System
This is another simple wall-mounted tool storage system like the one we just looked at above, but one of the things we like about this one is that you can install one alone or you can fit several together, giving you up to a maximum of 48” of storage space.
It’s a versatile option that can accommodate most types of tool – and it’s deceptive too because it can hold more than you might first guess.
We like the simplicity of this idea, and it will give you an effective way of organising your equipment as long as you have a wall to mount it on.
There’s not much to complain about here, but we should point out that it’s a bit fiddly to install – although most people will manage, and once it’s up, you don’t need to worry about it again.
Also, it isn’t the sturdiest storage solution, but it does its job, and that’s all that matters.
Overall, another simple but effective storage solution that most gardeners will appreciate, so if you’re in need of a way of organising the tools in your shed, this is an option that’s well worth a look.
- Versatile storage system – install it anywhere there’s a wall
- Can install several together – giving up to 48” of storage space
- Simple but effective – no need to overcomplicate things
- Suitable for a range of tools – gives you somewhere to keep almost everything
- Good capacity – holds more than you might first imagine
- Not especially sturdy – but sufficient to do its job
- A little tricky to install – but most people will be able to manage
6. StoreYourBoard Tool Storage Rack
While less expensive options are great if your tool collection doesn’t weight too much, for those with a more significant load to hang, something more heavy-duty is required.
That’s exactly what this rack is – it’s a serious rack that can hold up to 200lbs, making it suitable for all kinds of tools, including heavy power tools.
Since it’s designed to be customisable, you can adapt the configuration to your needs, and it features quick-lock pins to make this even easier.
That said, some people might find it a bit of a job to install, and you might need to play around lining up the holes correctly before you’re satisfied – however, once it’s up, most people will be happy with the results.
Otherwise, the only downside is the price, but if you want something strong and reliable, you have to be ready to put your hand in your pocket – and we still think it represents great value for money, making it an option that’s worth considering.
- Heavy-duty storage rack – holds up to 200lbs of equipment
- Holds almost anything – from regular forks and shovels to heavy power tools
- Customisable design – to hold the tools you need it for
- Quick-lock pins – for easy adjustment
- Compact storage option – makes great use of minimal space
- Expensive item – but a high-quality and dependable rack
- Installation can be tricky – may need to play around lining up the holes
7. Garden 2 Shelf Tool Tidy by Garland
Here’s another no-nonsense solution for keeping your tools organised in your shed – and it’s a great choice, even if the space in your shed is very limited.
The concept could hardly be simpler – it’s nothing more than a rack that you attach to the base of the wall, giving you somewhere to stand your tools. Clips are included for attaching it, and it’s extremely easy to assemble, requiring no tools.
We’re finding it hard to pick out anything we don’t like about this tool storage option. A minor niggle could be that the feet aren’t height-adjustable, so it can wobble on uneven surfaces – but this doesn’t matter if it’s secure to the wall.
Also, it’s made of plastic, so it seems slightly flimsy, but we’re still confident it should last a long time, so this isn’t really an issue.
To summarise, a great idea that will help free up space in your shed without costing you a fortune. And if that sounds like the kind of thing that might appeal, this is an option that should be on your radar.
- Effective solution – organise your tools effortlessly
- Affordable storage – great low price
- Compact design – suitable for even small sheds
- Includes clips for wall – to prevent it from falling over
- Easy to assemble – and requires no tools
- Feet not height-adjustable – may wobble on uneven surfaces
- Seems slightly flimsy – although should still resist regular wear and tear
8. Draper 60852 Gardeners Tool Cart and Seat
This gardening cart and tool storage is a practical solution that most gardeners will enjoy owning. It gives you a space to store and transport your tools, but then it also gives you a place to sit while doing jobs like weeding.
We love the cute design, and the lift-out tray makes it even more convenient to access the tools you need. Since it’s on wheels, it’s also super-easy to move around with you.
Perhaps one of the only problems, if you’re more interested in storage, is the size since it’s only big enough to hold smaller tools – it’s no good for things like forks and shovels.
Also, you need to be careful when standing up or sitting down as it can roll, but this is just common sense.
A wonderful idea and a well-made item that represents great value for money – this would be ideal for anyone who wants to make their gardening experience more comfortable, and it could also be a perfect idea for a gift.
- Practical storage solution – doubles as a gardening seat
- Cute design – looks fun as well as being useful
- Trusted UK company – support local businesses
- Lift-out tray – for extra convenience while gardening
- Great quality for the price – a bargain for what it costs
- Limited size – not big enough to hold larger tools
- Slightly unstable – need to be careful when standing up or sitting down
9. 12 Pack Tool Hanger Hooks Set
If you’re the kind of person who believes that the simplest solutions are usually the best, this is exactly the kind of thing that should appeal. It’s nothing more than a set of 12 solid hooks that are screwed directly into the wall to hold all your various tools.
They’re easy enough for just about anybody to install, and you can put them more or less anywhere – and once up, you can hang whatever you want on them.
That said, you need to have a suitably strong wall you can fix them to – otherwise, they won’t be much use. Also, the screws are a little short, so for extra strength, you might prefer to buy some longer ones.
All in all, a simple, inexpensive solution for tool storage – and if that’s all you need, choosing something like this could be the answer you’re looking for.
- Inexpensive solution – don’t spend more than you need to
- Made of galvanised metal – resistant to corrosion
- Super-simple design – no need to over-complicate things
- Versatile storage – can install almost anywhere and hang almost anything
- Easy to install – anyone will be able to do it
- Screws a little short – you might prefer to use longer ones for extra strength
- Need to be screwed into the wall – no good if your wall is not strong enough
10. Aoocan Garage Hooks
If you like the idea of the hooks we just looked at above but would prefer a bit more flexibility over what you can store, this version might be a better pick.
The big advantage here is that the selection of 12 hooks comes in several different sizes, allowing you to store a greater range of tools. They also feature a non-slip PVC coating, and each one can hold up to 77lbs in weight.
The pack also includes everything necessary for installation.
One of the only negatives we can think of is that, since the hooks are different sizes, you might find you don’t use them all.
They are also a bit more expensive than the version above, but this is a more sophisticated option, and if you want something that will give you a bit more versatility, this could be a smart pick.
- Different hook sizes – allows you to store a variety of items
- Pack includes everything for installation – no need to buy other parts
- Non-slip PVC coating – to help keep your tools safe
- Attractive orange colour – looks good as well as being practical
- Decent capacity – each hook holds up to 77lbs
- Might not need all the sizes – you may find there are hooks you don’t use
- A little expensive – for such a simple item
If you’re looking for a way of keeping your tools tidy, you’re probably wondering about how to choose the best method for you. So let’s think about this now.
There are several different types of tool storage available, so the main issue is going to be deciding which is the most suitable for you. Here are the different types:
‘Mini-shed’ or garden box
First, you can think about installing a ‘mini-shed’ or garden box storage in your garden. These are usually made of plastic or sometimes wood, and feature doors, a lid or sometimes both.
They offer the largest amount of storage space and can be installed outside, so they won’t take up room in your existing shed. You can also use them to store larger power tools and sometimes even things like lawnmowers.
If you choose one of these, factors to look out for include size, capacity, security, ease of assembly and whether they are fully waterproof. Also, pay attention to whether they include any internal storage such as shelves.
The next type is wall-hanging racks. These are racks that are attached to a wall, providing somewhere to hang all your tools.
The main advantage is that they make the most of limited space while keeping your tools well organised and easily accessible. Some are even strong enough to hold heavy power tools, but not all – so pay attention to this when buying if it’s important to you.
Things to look out for are ease of installation, durability, maximum weight capacity and variety of hooks. Some also have adjustable configurations that allow you to set them up the way that’s most useful to you.
Another type of storage solution is a ground-based rack with holes and slots that are designed to hold your tools. This is another good option for maximising limited space, and they are usually relatively inexpensive too.
Make sure the one you choose has enough slots and holes for your tools and that they are big enough for what you need.
Also, make sure you can fix the storage to the wall – otherwise, your tools will be in danger of falling over.
The simplest storage option is just to buy hooks that screw into the wall. They are easy to install, highly versatile and allow you to make the most of any wall space you have.
Make sure they are of good quality and have a good load-bearing rating so they won’t break when you hang heavier tools on them.
The downside is that they won’t be useful for hanging bulkier, heavy tools like chainsaws and the like.
Many great options to choose from
As you can see, when it comes to garden tool storage, there are many great options to choose from and in a range of different styles.
If you are looking for the best way to keep your garden tools organised but are having trouble making up your mind which to go for, any of the picks in our review would be a great place to start your search.