Garden obelisks can add an attractive decorative element to a garden as well as giving your climbing plants somewhere to grow. Nowadays there are lots to choose from, so here is our guide to choosing the best garden obelisk to help you find the perfect one for you.
The Best Garden Obelisk in the UK Market
1. Kingfisher Garden Obelisk
This inexpensive garden obelisk from Kingfisher features powder-coated steel construction and stands at 1.9m when built. It is suitable for any climbing plants, and if you’re having trouble keeping yours under control, something like this could be the perfect solution.
We love the way it looks – and even more so when plants start to grow up and around it – and once it’s built, it’s also quite stable and sturdy, especially for such a budget-friendly obelisk.
One problem to mention is that it can be a little tricky to put together, especially if you try to do it alone. However, it’s far from impossible, and if you can find someone to help you, the job will be much easier.
Also, be aware that this is not a high-quality, high-end item. Rather, it is intended as an affordable garden obelisk, and the quality is what you would expect from something at this kind of price point.
In sum, a great option for anyone looking for a garden obelisk that won’t cost a fortune and that will give climbing plants somewhere to grow while helping keep them under control – and if that sounds like what you’re looking for, this could be a smart pick.
- Powder-coated steel – resistant to corrosion
- Looks great – an attractive addition to any garden
- Stable and sturdy once built – won’t fall down easily
- Great value – an affordable option
- Suitable for any climbing plants – and will help you keep them under control
- Construction a fiddle – will take around 30-45mins
- Quality not exceptional – but acceptable as a budget option
2. Gardman 07705 Classical Garden Obelisk
If you are looking for something of slightly higher quality than bargain-basement garden obelisks but still don’t want to spend a fortune buying one, this model from Gardman could be a perfect compromise.
Featuring a 22mm polyester-coated steel frame, it is resistant to corrosion and built to last. Additionally, the joints are protected by specially-designed sleeves to help increase their longevity. It’s easy enough to put together too and includes a set of clear, simple instructions.
There are a couple of minor negatives to mention, however. For one, the bottoms of the legs are not attached securely and may fall off when you move it. Also, we’re not so keen on the plastic finial since it seems a bit cheap and is also a little tricky to screw on.
That said, despite these slight irritations, this is an attractive garden obelisk that combines above average quality with a low price. It’s a real bargain for what it costs and could be a welcome addition to many people’s gardens.
- 22mm polyester-coated steel frame – for sturdiness and durability
- Joint sleeves – helps protect them from rust
- Designed to last – won’t need to be replaced for several years
- Great value – good quality at a reasonable price
- Easy to put together – includes clear instructions
- Bottom of legs not attached – can fall off when you move it
- Plastic finial – seems a little cheap
3. Metal Garden Obelisk
For those who are looking for an inexpensive and functional yet attractive garden obelisk, this is an option that fits the bill.
At just under two metres in height, it gives your plants plenty of space to grow and expand, and since it’s made of weatherproof coated metal, it is resistant to corrosion, meaning it should last a good few years.
Once built, it’s relatively sturdy. It can’t match solid, pre-welded obelisks – at this price, you wouldn’t expect it to – but it’s a far more affordable alternative.
As with many similar obelisks, it can be a bit tricky to construct alone, although it’s much easier with two people working together. Also, the instructions are rather limited rather than being ‘detailed’ as claimed – but the diagrams are very useful.
Overall, another solid pick if you’re looking for something at the lower end of the price range. Once in place, it will look great with plants growing up it, and if getting value for money is important to you, this is an obelisk you should appreciate.
- Weatherproof coated metal – designed to resist corrosion
- Good height – gives your plants plenty of space to grow
- Elegant look – especially when your plants become established
- Sturdy when constructed – although not as much as solid metal options
- Excellent value for money – an inexpensive option
- Difficult to assemble alone – much easier for two people together
- Limited instructions – although includes useful diagrams
4. GAP Garden Products 7Ft Traditional Obelisk
Many garden obelisks sell for very low prices, but all too often, they are flimsy and unlikely to last more than a couple of years at best. However, if you don’t mind spending a bit more money for something that will last, this could be the ideal alternative.
With steel construction throughout, it is tough and durable, and once in place, the frame is extremely sturdy, making it suitable for anything you want to grow on it. You can also feel confident that it won’t blow down the first time there’s a storm and strong winds.
One of the only negatives with this obelisk is that the bolts are slightly prone to rusting – although if you want to increase their lifespan, you can paint them or apply a non-rust coating.
Otherwise, the only other problem is the price since this is among the more expensive options available. However, you expect to pay more for quality – and it’s made by a British company too – so if you don’t mind meeting the higher price tag, this obelisk could be a smart pick.
- Extra-tall model – over 2m
- Full steel construction – built to last many years
- Suitable for any climbing plants – strong enough to hold heavier species
- Sturdy design – won’t blow down in strong wind
- British company – for those who prefer supporting homegrown businesses
- Issue with rusting bolts – but can be protected by painting them
- More expensive option – although this is a high-quality obelisk
5. Garden Obelisk
If you are put off by garden obelisks that require construction – which can often be tricky – this model could be a smart pick since it comes ready-made. All you need to do is put it in place and let your plants take over.
We think this obelisk is especially attractive, with its arrow-shaped finial sitting on top. It’s made of raw steel too, so it is likely to last many years, and it’s also made in the UK, so it’s would be a good pick for those who prefer buying British.
There’s so much to like about this obelisk and almost nothing to dislike. The only thing we can find to complain about is that there are no taller models – it comes as either a 1.3m or a 1.6m version, so if you need more than that, unfortunately, you’ll have to look elsewhere.
Also, we should point out that this obelisk is designed to rust, which gives it an attractive rustic aesthetic. We love this look, but if you don’t appreciate it, you’re also better off choosing something else.
This obelisk is one of our favourites due to its attractive style as well as the fact that you don’t need to spend time building it. It’s also a steal for the price it sells for, making it another top pick.
- No construction necessary – comes ready-built
- Great low price – for those who enjoy a bargain
- Attractive obelisk – with a pretty arrow-shaped finial on top
- Made of raw steel – strong and durable material
- Made in the UK – quality British product
- Taller versions not available – max height 1.6m
- Be aware that it’s designed to rust – although this is not a negative
6. Pair of Selections Roman Style Steel Garden Obelisks
This pair of Roman-style obelisks features solid metal construction, which is rugged and sturdy. The steel of the framework is also coated in plastic to increase its lifespan.
We like the intricate framework that gives your plants plenty to hold on to and grow around, and at over 2m in height, there’s plenty of room for your plants to expand into.
Another plus is that these obelisks are easy to construct since each one consists of only two pieces that need to be fitted together – however, having said that, you may find it hard to separate the parts at first since they can become wedged firmly together in the box.
Similarly, on opening the box, you may find that some of the framework has been bent slightly out of place due to the packaging – but if this is the case, it’s easy enough to bend it back into shape, so this should put you off buying them.
In short, an ideal pick if you’re looking for a pair of tall, sturdy obelisks for your garden that you can use to grow just about any type of climbing plant, and if that’s what you need, this is another option that’s worth considering.
- Intricate framework – gives your plants plenty to take hold of
- Impressive height – over 2m tall
- Plastic-coated steel – for longer lifespan
- Solid metal – sturdy and durable
- Easy to fit together – comes in just two separate parts per obelisk
- Difficult to separate parts from box – can become wedged firmly together
- May arrive with slight damage – due to packaging
7. garden mile® 2x Large 2M Black Metal Garden Obelisks
This is a pair of 2m tall garden obelisks that are suitable for almost any type of climbing plant. The frame is made of rust-resistant powder-coated steel, and since the feet can be pushed up to 40cm into the ground, the obelisk is stable, even in strong wind.
With this model, you shouldn’t have any difficulties putting the obelisks together – it’s a simple job for two people but could also be managed by someone working alone.
On the downside, it’s a bit of a stretch to call these obelisks ‘heavy-duty’ since the frame consists of tubular rods rather than solid metal. Also, you may find them to be rather flimsy, although for what they cost, we think they are more than adequate.
To summarise, a great pick if you need a pair of garden obelisks for climbing plants and are looking for something at the lower end of the price range. They do the job they were designed for and should last at least several years, making this a product that’s worth checking out.
- Rust-resistant – consists of powder-coated steel frame
- Suitable for all plants – and a good height for them to grow into
- Stable base – can be pushed 40cm into the ground
- Easy to assemble – short work for 2 people but possible for just 1
- Great value – a budget-friendly option
- Not heavy-duty – tubular frame
- Feels flimsy – although acceptable at this kind of price
8. Unibos Set of 2 Garden Obelisks
If you are looking for a pair of large budget-friendly garden obelisks, this is an option that should be on your list of possibilities. We love the way they look, and when you’ve finished building them, they’re surprisingly sturdy, even if they don’t feel it before they’re finished.
The powder-coated metal frame helps ensure they are able to resist harsh weather, and at 1.9m, they are a good size, giving your plants plenty of room to grow and thrive.
However, you should be aware that these obelisks are not high-quality items, and nor are they supposed to be. Rather, they are intended as inexpensive frames for climbing plants to grow on and nothing more – and if that’s all you expect, you should be more than satisfied.
Also, they can be a little tricky to put together, but this is a common issue with many garden obelisks, and once you’ve managed to do it, you won’t need to worry about it anymore.
As a pair of affordable obelisks, at this kind of price, you can hardly go wrong. If that’s all you need – and you aren’t looking for something of superior quality – these obelisks could be just what you require.
- Strong when built – even if they feel a little flimsy during construction
- Look great – an attractive element for your garden
- Powder-coated metal frame – weather-resistant
- Decent height of 1.9m – leaves plenty of room for your plants to grow
- Excellent value for money – very affordable option
- Not high quality – although only what you would expect at such a low price point
- Tricky to build – may take a while to fit the pieces together
9. Ruddings Wood Heavy Duty Natural Rust Metal Sculptural Garden Obelisk
For people looking for garden ornaments that are little different from the usual classic options, with its attractive contemporary design, this stylish garden obelisk could be an interesting alternative.
It has more than just good looks in its favour, however – it also features robust heavy-duty metal construction that means it is likely to be a feature of your garden for many years.
Since it comes ready-made, there’s no complicated construction process to worry about, and installation is no more difficult than simply pushing it into the ground. Once in place, it then rusts naturally, creating an authentic rustic look.
The main problem many people will have is that this obelisk is on the small size. A slightly larger version does exist, and the company has other designs that are taller – but it appears that this obelisk is unavailable in anything like the 2m range.
Furthermore, since installation requires you to push it into the ground, you will lose around a further 15cm, which is quite a lot when it’s only 120cm in the first place.
That said, there’s still a lot to like about this obelisk, and for anyone who doesn’t need anything excessively tall, this could be a great choice. A big thumbs-up from us.
- Striking contemporary design – perfect for those who want something original
- Heavy-duty construction – built to last
- No construction – comes ready-made
- Easy installation – simply push it into the ground and you’re done
- Rusts attractively with time – for an authentic rustic look
- Only available in smaller sizes – not suitable for larger climbing plants
- Will lose around 15cm into the ground – a lot when it’s already not tall
10. Relaxdays Metal Obelisk
This garden obelisk from Relaxdays requires assembly, but everything you need to build it comes in the pack, so you don’t need to worry about buying any extra pieces. It’s also not difficult to build, and most people will be able to finish putting it together quickly.
Standing at 1.9m, it’s a good height for most climbing plants, and once built, it’s sturdy enough for just about any kind of plants to grow on. It’s an attractive obelisk too, and with the decorative finial on top, it will look great in any garden.
There aren’t many negative points to mention here. We might complain that it’s slightly overpriced, although not excessively so, and most people won’t mind paying a little extra for a quality product.
Also, it isn’t quite as sturdy as some of the ready-made obelisks available, although it’s still strong and durable, so this is a minor niggle rather than a major issue.
This is another obelisk we liked a lot. It looks great, is easy to put together and will offer your plants an inviting frame to grow up, making it another option that’s worth checking out.
- Good height – around 1.9m
- Comes with everything necessary for construction – no need to buy extra pieces
- Easy to build – most people will manage without problems
- Decorative finial – an attractive element on top
- Sturdy design – will stay in place once built
- A little expensive – although not excessively so
- Not as solid as some pre-made obelisks – although still strong and durable
If you’re interested in buying a new garden obelisk, you’ll probably want to know a bit about how to choose the right one for you – so let’s have a look at some of the most important factors now.
Tubular or solid metal
One of the first things to look at is whether a garden obelisk is made of solid metal or consists of tubular rods.
Solid metal obelisks are more rugged as well as being heavier, so they are likely to last longer and won’t be blown or knocked over as easily. However, they also tend to cost more money.
Tubular versions, on the other hand, are lighter and flimsier – but they may represent a good way to save some cash if you don’t need anything too heavy-duty.
You should make sure that any obelisk you buy is stable to avoid it toppling over. This means it should either have a wide base or have feet that push deep into the ground to hold it in place.
Once your climbing plants grow onto it, they will also help increase stability by holding it firmly in place.
Some cheaper obelisks are only designed to last a couple of years at best whereas some of the more expensive options will last a lot longer.
This means you will need to decide if you want to pay more for something you will be able to use for many years to come or if you only want an obelisk for use in the shorter term.
If you want your obelisk to last, you should also make sure it is weather resistant. This means if it made of something like steel, you should make sure it has a plastic or powder coating. This will prevent it from corroding due to exposure to the elements.
Construction required or pre-built
An important factor to consider is whether an obelisk requires putting together or if it arrives ready-made.
Many obelisks that require some construction can be tricky to build, and with many, it can be a job that’s much easier for two people than for one person working alone. This means you should check how easy it is to construct.
Of course, this is not something you need to worry about if you choose one that comes ready to go.
Pay attention to how tall obelisks are, and consider which plants you plan to grow on them – since some plants require larger frames to reach their full potential.
Designed to rust
Some obelisks are designed to rust, giving a natural and authentic rustic look. If you think this is a style you might like, choosing one of these could be a great option.
The finial is the decorative piece at the top. Although not necessarily the most important element, choosing one with an attractive finial can add an extra level of aesthetic appeal to your obelisk.
Plenty of great options to choose from
As you can see, there are plenty of appealing garden obelisks to choose from, in a range of styles and at prices to suit all budgets.
If you’ve decided you’d like to add one to your garden but are having trouble finding the right model for you, any of the picks from our review would be a great place to start your search.