As any keen gardener will tell you, working on the ground can be a pain – literally, since after an hour of kneeling, you’re likely to find yourself suffering from stiff, sore knees.
The answer, of course, is to find the best garden kneeler – and to help, here are our top picks to help you choose the right one for you.
The Best Garden Kneeler in UK Market 2023
Bosmere Rectangular Garden Kneeling Mat
This basic kneeling mat from Bosmere is the ideal solution for anyone looking for an inexpensive product without any unnecessary frills.
Boasting triple high-density foam construction and a protective skin on both sides, this is a mat that should survive at least several years of use.
We like the way the material doesn’t absorb water, so it will keep your knees dry, even in wet conditions. This also makes it easy to clean – it just needs a quick wipe with some warm, soapy water and you’re ready to go again.
On the downside, at only 42cm x 24cm (17” x 24”) some people might find it a little small. This means if you’re a larger person, you might prefer to choose a different model. Also, it’s a little thin for use on hard surfaces, although it’s perfect if you need something for working on grass.
Overall, this is a no-nonsense kneeling mat that does exactly what it was designed for, and at a low price like this, you can hardly go wrong – so if that sound like what you’re looking for, this could be just the thing.
- Triple high-density foam construction – for comfort and durability
- Protective skin on both sides – made to last
- Non-absorbent – helps keep you dry even on damp surfaces
- Easy to clean – simply wipe down with soapy water
- Useful handle – convenient to carry around with you
- Small dimensions – perhaps not ideal for larger people
- Not padded enough for hard surfaces – but perfect for use on grass
Bosmere Garden Kneeling Mat
Here’s another low-priced kneeling mat from Bosmere, this time an even more compact version with a comfortable kidney-shaped design.
Among the advantages of this mat is the lightweight yet tough construction that will ensure you won’t need to think about replacing it for some time. The handy hole in the top is also ideal for hanging on a hook, making it easy to store.
It has a good amount of cushioning – although, like the model above, you might find it a little uncomfortable for extended use on harder surfaces. One of the biggest selling points, however, is the low price, meaning most people will be happy about getting value for money.
That said, this mat is even smaller than the one we looked at above, so for larger people, it’s probably not the best pick. Also, it has a garish blue-purple colour that some might not appreciate, although this is a matter of taste.
In short, this mat would be another great option if you’re in need of a simple kneeling mat and don’t require anything fancy. At this kind of price, it’s hard to beat, making it an option worth considering.
- Lightweight yet tough – will last a long time
- Hole for carrying – also useful for hanging up in storage
- Kidney-shaped design – perfect for comfortable kneeling
- Good amount of cushioning – to help protect your knees
- Very low price – a real bargain for what it costs
- Garish colour – might not appeal to some
- Small size – even smaller than the previous model
Burgon & Ball GKN/BERRY Memory Foam Garden Kneelo® Kneeler
If you’re in the market for something a little bit more advanced than a basic foam kneeling mat, this product from Burgon & Ball should be worth a look.
The main difference between this mat and cheaper options is that it’s made of more advanced materials. It features a layer of shock-absorbing EVA foam that’s surrounded by memory foam, which allows it to mould itself to the shape of your knees and increase your comfort.
With a rugged outer shell, it’s tough and built to last, and another thing we like about this mat is its generous dimensions – at 50cm x 30.5cm x 5cm (19.5” x 12” x 2”), it offers you plenty of surface to kneel on.
There’s not much we don’t like about this mat. One minor complaint we have is that it’s a little more difficult to clean than some other mats, although this is hardly a major issue. Otherwise, the only other problem is the slightly higher price, but we still feel it’s great value for money.
This is a good option for anyone looking for enhanced comfort in the garden and who doesn’t mind paying a little more for a superior product. It’s also available in a range of vibrant colours, making it a great gift option or a smart pick for anyone who enjoys owning cute garden tools.
- Advanced materials – shock-absorbing EVA foam and 2 layers of memory foam
- Rugged waterproof shell – versatile and built to last
- Generous size – 50cm x 30.5cm x 5cm (19.5” x 12” x 2”)
- Good thickness – comfortable even on harder surfaces
- Available in a range of colours – choose one that matches your style
- More expensive option – although it will hardly break the bank
- A little difficult to clean – but shouldn’t be a deal-breaker
Draper Gardener’s Kneeler Seat
For anyone looking for a versatile tool that provides you with more than just something to kneel on, this product from Draper could be worth checking out.
It includes a foam kneeler that makes it comfortable and convenient when you need to take care of garden jobs like weeding, but it also has a convenient space for you to store your tools, so you won’t need to carry a separate bag while you work.
Furthermore, it’s extremely lightweight, so it’s no problem to carry it around with you, and the tool storage box keeps water out, ensuring your garden equipment stays dry.
One negative to mention is that it can only hold up to around 90kg (14st), so it’s not the best pick for larger, heavier people. Also, it seems a little flimsy – especially if you use it as a support when standing up from a kneeling position.
To summarise, this is a convenient and well-designed kneeler that sells for a very reasonable price. It’s also made by an established British company with almost 100 years of experience, and if those points tick all the boxes for you, this is an option that should be on your radar.
- Versatile tool – somewhere to store tools as well as something to kneel on
- Includes foam kneeler – comfortable and convenient to work on
- Keeps water out – ensures your tools stay dry inside
- Lightweight model – easy to carry
- Established British company – with nearly a century of experience
- Can only hold up to 90kg (14st) – not suitable for larger people
- A little flimsy – especially when used as a support to stand up
Wrendale Outdoor Padded Garden Kneeler with Birds & Rabbits Design
This gorgeous kneeling mat from Wrendale features cute artwork on both sides from award-winning artist Hannah Dale – one side features birds while the other is decorated with rabbits.
However, there’s more to this mat than just good looks. We like the way it is made of thick material that will make working on your knees much more comfortable. The fact that it is waterproof is another plus since it helps keep your knees dry and is also easy to clean.
Another positive is the large and comfortable carrying handle that gives the mat an extra level of portability.
One minor gripe we have is that is slightly small in size, so if you prefer something larger, other models might be more suitable.
Otherwise, the only other issue is the price since it’s not the cheapest – but it’s a good quality, attractive mat, and we think it still represents great value.
This mat would be an ideal idea for a gift and is the kind of item that will appeal to people who enjoy owning pretty objects rather than something merely functional – and if that sounds like you, this is a mat that should be on your list of possibilities.
- Thick and comfortable mat – good quality item
- Waterproof material – and easy to clean
- Cute design – attractive artwork on both sides
- Large carrying handle – for extra portability
- Ideal option for a present – or just to use yourself
- Expensive item – although still good value for money
- Slightly small size – some people might prefer something a bit bigger
Radius Helpful Garden Kneeler and Seat
This dual-purpose kneeler also doubles up as a seat, making it a convenient and useful item to own. You can use it to kneel on when working on tasks like weeding, but then you can turn it over and stand it up when you need something to sit on.
Boasting thick padding on the kneeler, it will help protect your knees, making garden work more comfortable and less painful. When not in use, it also folds down small, making it easy to store. It’s rugged and durable too, and with its tough steel frame, it can even be left outside.
One minor issue is that it is a little unstable when used as a seat – the base is too narrow, making it prone to tipping over if you’re not careful. Another complaint is that there are no instructions for folding it up, and it can be tricky to do until you work out the ‘trick’.
The company that makes this specialises in producing gardening equipment for people with reduced mobility or dexterity, so for anyone who wants to continue enjoying their gardening but who has trouble kneeling down or standing up, this could be a great pick.
- Foldable design – makes it easy to store
- Double-function – kneeler or seat
- Thick padding – for extra knee protection
- Tough steel frame – ensures it will last a long time
- Rugged and durable – can even be left outside in the garden
- Slightly unsteady when used as a seat – prone to tipping over
- No instructions for folding – you have to work out the ‘trick’ yourself
Xueliee Thick Kneeling Pad
For the kind of person who likes simple products that simply do the job they were designed for, this kneeling mat from Xueliee could be ideal.
One of the advantages here is the thickness of the mat – it will protect your knees whichever surface you use it on. It’s also a highly versatile mat that can be used for a range of other uses besides simply gardening.
Furthermore, it’s made of tough EVA, so it should last a long time – and it’s available in three vibrant colours, allowing you to choose the one you like most.
The main problem with this mat is that it is quite hard – it’s far better than kneeling directly on concrete or other hard surfaces, but some people might feel it isn’t comfortable to use for long periods.
Apart from this, the only other issue is the price since it’s a little expensive for a very basic item. However, it is built to last and does what it was designed for perfectly – so if you don’t mind paying a few pounds extra, this mat could be a smart pick.
- Versatile mat – suitable for a wide range of uses
- Generous thickness – offers more protection than many other mats
- Anti-slip surface – makes it easier to work on
- Made of strong EVA – will last a long time
- Available in several colours – choose the one you like most
- Hard material – some people might not find it comfortable enough
- Slightly pricey option – for just a basic kneeling mat
SONGMICS 2 in 1 Garden Kneeler
Here’s a well-made kneeler from Songmics boasting a 2-in-1 design. You can use it as a kneeler for jobs like weeding, but you can also use it as a stool when dealing with jobs that require you to be seated. It also includes handrails to make it easier to stand up or sit down.
One big advantage it has over many other options is that it can hold up to 150kg (23.5st). We also like the pouches on the side that give you somewhere convenient to store your tools while you work. When not in use, it also folds up for convenient storage.
Something to be careful about is that it can nip fingers when being folded, so pay attention not to get your fingers caught. Also, the pouches can blow off in strong wind – but the simple solution is to put tools in them and this won’t happen.
All in all, a versatile tool that sells for a very acceptable price and that should last a long time. Another recommended pick.
- 2-in-1 design – kneeler and stool
- Includes handrails – makes it easier to stand up or kneel down
- Can hold up to 150kg (23.5st) – more than most other models
- Pouches on the side – gives you somewhere to put your tools while you work
- Foldable design – for convenient transportation or storage
- Can nip fingers when folding – need to be careful
- Pouches can blow off in strong wind – put tools in them to prevent this
Spear & Jackson Kew 5 Layer Garden Kneeler
If you prefer the peace of mind that comes from buying products from established companies, this kneeler from Spear & Jackson should be of interest.
It boasts five-layer construction – including memory foam that moulds to your knees for extra comfort. Furthermore, it also includes a handle that makes it easy to carry.
We might complain that it’s only water-resistant rather than being fully waterproof, which means you may get damp knees when working in wet conditions. It’s also a little difficult to get clean, although it’s far from impossible, so this shouldn’t be a deal-breaker.
This is a high-quality item that should appeal to the kind of person who doesn’t mind paying a little more to get their hands on a superior product – and if that includes you, this is an option that’s well worth a look.
- 5-layer construction – for extra comfort
- Memory foam pad – moulds around your knees
- Includes carrying handle – for convenience and practicality
- High-quality item – well designed and well made
- Reputable established company – for extra peace of mind
- Not fully waterproof – so you will get wet knees if working in damp conditions
- A little difficult to clean – although far from impossible
Portable Folding 2 in1 Garden Kneeler
This 2-in-1 tool can be used as a garden kneeler or as a stool, depending on the job you’re working on. When not in use, it folds down for storage, and it features a spring release mechanism that’s designed to help.
We like the handles that give you something to grab hold of when you want to stand up from a kneeling position, and the firm but comfortable foam helps take the pain out of gardening, even when you’re on your knees for extended periods.
One negative is that when changing the configuration or when folding or unfolding it, you need to be careful not to pinch your hands. Also, it can be a little bit tricky to fold down at first, although this is something you’ll quickly get used to.
A great option for anyone who needs a stool as well as a kneeler – and since it sells at such a reasonable price, it’s a real bargain. A recommended pick.
- Kneeler and stool – a versatile item
- Folding design for storage – with a spring release mechanism
- Includes handles – helps you stand up from a kneeling position
- Firm but comfortable kneeler material – removes the pain from gardening
- Tough and strong – built to last
- Can pinch hands when being folded – need to take care when using it
- Slightly difficult to close at first – but you get used to it
If you’re in the market for a garden kneeler, you’ll probably want to know what to look for when choosing – so let’s think about some of the most important factors now.
Perhaps the most important thing to look at when choosing a garden kneeler is how comfortable it is – since this is why you’re buying it, after all.
Make sure it is thick enough to protect your knees from the kind of surfaces you’ll be using it to work on – for example, if you need it to work on hard surfaces, make sure it offers enough cushioning for that kind of work.
Some of the more advanced kneelers available include memory foam, which moulds to your knees and provides an extra level of comfort.
They usually cost more than the most basic models, but if you’re willing to pay extra for comfort, this is something you might wish to consider.
Another key factor is how tough and durable a kneeler is. You might save yourself some cash by buying the cheapest one you can find, but this could turn out to be a false economy if it only survives a couple of uses.
For this reason, you should choose a kneeler that can stand up to a bit of rough treatment – and that way, you should be able to look forward to using it for a good few years to come.
Easy to clean
Make sure your kneeler is easy to clean. The best versions can be cleaned simply by wiping them down with a bit of warm water and soap – and this will make looking after it a whole lot easier.
It’s best to choose a garden kneeler that is waterproof. This way, water won’t soak through when you use it in damp conditions, and you won’t end up with wet knees.
Most garden kneelers have some kind of carrying handle to make it easier to pick it up and take it with you. However, even one that doesn’t have a handle will probably be quite easy to carry, so this shouldn’t be a deal-breaker.
Some garden kneelers offer other functions besides being a simple kneeling mat. For example, some can be used as stools for the kind of garden work you can do sitting down, and others incorporate toolboxes or pouches to give you somewhere to store your gardening implements.
This means if you would prefer something more versatile than a simple kneeling mat, this is something to consider.
Many options to choose from
As you can see, when it comes to garden kneelers, there are many great options to choose from – and mostly at very reasonable prices.
If you have decided a garden kneeler would be a welcome addition to your collection of garden tools but you are having trouble making up your mind which to go for, any of the picks in our review would be a great place to start your search.