If you dream of having a stunning lawn that looks like it’s been cared for by a pro, you need to pay attention to the edges – and to do that, you need the right tools for the job.
To help you find the right one for your needs, here are our top picks for best lawn edging shears that will allow you to create that perfect lawn that you’ve always craved.
The Best Lawn Edging Shear on UK Market 2022
1. Bahco P75 Edging Shear
These edging shears from Bahco feature hardened steel blades that are designed to retain their sharpness for a long time. The blades are also coated in black xylan, which reduces friction, giving you a smoother cut, and it also helps to prevent rusting.
Furthermore, they incorporate a self-locking nut that stops them from jarring when you use them, making the experience more comfortable and less fatiguing.
There’s very little we don’t like about these shears. Perhaps we might complain that they’re a little on the heavy side – although that’s also partly due to the fact they’re made of strong, durable materials.
Also, taller people might find the handle a little short, but for most gardeners, this shouldn’t be an issue.
All in all, a top-quality pair of shears that costs a little more than some, but that still represents excellent value for money – and if that sounds like the kind of thing you’re looking for, these shears could be the perfect choice.
- Hardened steel blades – keep their edge well
- Black xylan coat – reduces friction and prevents rust
- Self-locking retaining nut – stops the shears jarring
- Well-made item – will last for a long time
- High-quality shears – superior to many cheaper versions
- Not light – may be a little heavy for some people
- Short handle for tall people – may give you backache if used for extended periods
2. Robert Dyas Darlac Telescopic Edging Shear
For taller people, many regular shears can lead to back pain due to the uncomfortable position, and if you’re looking for a solution to this problem, here’s a tool that should be of interest.
These shears feature telescopic handles, allowing you to adjust the length to suit your height – so for taller people, this will mean no more stooping over when you trim the edges. They are also lightweight, meaning anyone should be comfortable using them.
The overall build quality is high, and these shears cut cleanly, allowing you to achieve outstanding results when cutting the edges of your lawn. Since they are so well made, they should also last a long time, meaning you can expect to be using them for many years to come.
One issue some people might have is with the curved blade, which, due to its shape, is a little harder to sharpen than some other models.
Also – and this is more of an irritation than a complaint about the tool itself – the shears come with part of the packaging glued to them, and this can be a pain to remove completely.
However, despite these minor downsides, these are excellent shears that most people will enjoy using. They are light enough for smaller people but can be extended for taller people to use too, making them an all-round recommended pick.
- Lightweight model – makes these shears comfortable to use
- Adjustable length – ideal for taller people
- Good quality tool – should last a long time
- Cuts clean – so easier to achieve great results
- Excellent value – a bargain at this price
- Curved blade harder to sharpen – although cuts very well
- Packaging glued to the shears – annoying and difficult to remove
3. Spear and Jackson Razorsharp Steel Edging Shears
If getting great value for money is important to you, then these shears from Spear and Jackson should be of interest since they sell for a very acceptable low price.
With carbon steel blades, they are extremely sharp, meaning they slice effortlessly through grass, even when wet. The blades are also lacquered to make them resistant to rust while at the same time further enhancing their cutting ability.
We also like the soft grips on the tubular steel handles that make them comfortable to work with.
One thing we like less is that they are fairly heavy. Most people will be able to use them, but if you need to spend more extended periods cutting your edges, you might find yourself becoming fatigued.
Also, the handles are a little short, so this is another set of shears that might not be ideal for the taller gardeners out there.
In sum, an affordable option that offers a great balance between quality and price. These shears are sharp, easy to use and made with high-quality materials, making them another option that should merit a look.
- Carbon steel blades – designed to keep sharp and last a long time
- Polished lacquered metal – resists rust and cuts smoothly
- Tubular steel handles – with comfortable soft grips
- 10-year guarantee – for extra peace of mind
- Venerable British company – support homegrown brands
- On the heavy size – some people may find them tiring to use
- Short handles – taller people might prefer something longer
4. Wilkinson Sword 1111138WF WS Long Handled Border, Edging Shear
Featuring a carbon steel blade with a non-stick coating, they keep their sharpness for a long time and will slice through grass easily, leaving sharp and professional-looking edges to your lawn.
They include a long handle, which makes them suitable for even most taller people – although since the handle isn’t extendable, the very tallest people might still find these shears a little short. The grip is comfortable and easy to hold, even when wearing gloves.
The main negative with these shears is they are quite heavy, so if you are lacking in strength, you will probably find yourself becoming fatigued quite quickly. Also, the cutting action is a little stiff, although this can be improved by adding some oil.
Overall, another solid pick for anyone looking for a reliable pair of edging shears that you can trust. They come with a 10-year guarantee and do the job they were designed for perfectly, so if you’re not put off by the weight, this is another option that should be on your radar.
- Carbon steel blade – with non-stick coating
- Comfortable grip – and easy to hold, even with gloves on
- Long handle – although still perhaps short for the tallest people
- Cut cleanly – for perfectly sharp edges
- 10-year warranty – a product you can trust
- Heavy tool – may cause fatigue if used for long periods
- Stiff action – although may be helped by oiling
5. Fiskars Servo-System Grass Shear
If you value versatility and innovation, this is a tool you should appreciate – these shears feature a special system that allows you to swivel the blades through 90° so you can choose the best angle for the job.
This means you can cut grass on the surface of your lawn, but you can also use them to cut grass along the edges, meaning you should get plenty of use out of them. They’re also suitable for both left- and right-handed people, so anyone will be comfortable using them.
However, these shears are not as heavy-duty as most traditional versions, and some people might think they seem a little flimsy – although they’re good quality and should last a long time if you treat them well.
Also, the blades are quite short, and the action is also different from traditional shears, so they might take a bit of getting used to – and due to the length of the blades, it will take longer to work around the edges of larger lawns.
These are only minor drawbacks, though, and this is a tool we like a lot – so if you need a pair of shears that will help you trim your edges, even in places that are awkward to reach, this could be the solution you’re looking for.
- Adjustable blade – can change the cutting angle
- Suitable for right- and left-handers – anybody can use them
- Stainless-steel blades – resistant to rust and corrosion
- Anti-jolt action – for a more comfortable cutting experience
- Sharp blades – give you a smart, clean cut
- Action different from traditional shears – may take some getting used to
- Blades quite short – takes longer to cut around the edges of larger lawns
6. EasyKut Grass Shears
Like the model above, these shears feature a blade that can rotate, allowing you to choose the angle for cutting. This means these shears can be used for a range of applications like trimming overhead branches as well as tidying up the edges of your lawn.
Even better, they incorporate a wheel, which is designed to reduce fatigue while you work since you don’t need to support the full weight of the tool. It also includes a safety lock, so you won’t have any accidents while it’s in storage.
One thing that concerns us is that we’re not sure how long the cutting mechanism will last – the rope inside might eventually break, but if it lasts at least a few years, we still think it’s a good buy.
Also, it is slightly lacking in cutting force – it will easily deal with grass or thin branches, but it might struggle if you try to use it with anything more substantial.
In short, a versatile tool for trimming the edges of your lawn and much more besides. It sells for a very reasonable price and will be a tool you can turn to for a wide range of jobs, making it an option that’s well worth checking out.
- Rotating head – to cut at different angles
- Features wheels – designed to reduce fatigue
- Includes safety lock – for extra security in storage
- Versatile tool – can be used for trimming branches as well as grass
- Great low price – a real bargain for what you pay
- Durability of cutting mechanism uncertain – may not last forever
- Lacking in cutting force – won’t cut thicker branches
7. GARDENA Classic Grass Shears
If you don’t mind getting down on all fours to smarten up your edges, this pair of shears could be ideal for your needs. The blades are self-sharpening, and the shears have a powerful cutting action that allows you to cut with the full length of the blades.
The metal has a protective coating to help protect it from corrosion, and the shears also have a one-handed lock feature that is convenient to use when you don’t have two free hands.
They’re also covered by a 25-year guarantee, so you know they should last for a long time to come.
Our biggest problem with these shears is that the handles are a little uncomfortable and may cause blisters if you use them for a long time – although it’s easy to avoid this by wearing gloves.
Also, the blades are a little short, which means it will take a little longer to finish the job.
However, since they sell for such a reasonable low price, we would be willing to accept these minor shortcomings, and overall, if you don’t need shears that allow you to work standing up, we think these could be a great pick.
- Self-sharpening blades – no need to worry about extra maintenance
- Powerful cutting action – cuts along the whole length of the blade
- Protective coating on blades – resistant to corrosion
- One-hand locking feature – convenient to use
- 25-year guarantee – an extremely generous warranty
- Handles are a bit uncomfortable – may cause blisters after a while
- Short blades – takes a bit longer to finish the job
8. WOLF-Garten RILL Comfort Single Hand Grass Shears
These hand shears are similar to the model we just looked at above, but with this version, you can also swivel the blades for extra versatility. The blades are non-stick to help make cutting easier, and they include an ergonomic handle to make them more comfortable to work with.
On the downside, they don’t perform so well with anything more significant than thin grass. Thicker grass and twigs will be more problematic, and you’ll need a bit more strength to get them to cut – although, for general edging, they do a great job.
In short, a great option if you don’t mind working on your knees. These shears sell at a reasonable price point and represent good value for money, and they also have a 10-year warranty for extra peace of mind, all of which makes them another recommended pick.
- Rotating blade – for more versatility
- Non-stick blades – makes cutting easier
- Comfortable grip – easier to work with
- Sturdy tool – won’t break easily
- 10-year guarantee – in case anything goes wrong
- Not ideal for thick grass – but perfect for trimming
- Needs some force to cut anything tough – makes it harder work
9. Bosch 600833172 Cordless Edging Shear Set
For those who prefer to take all the effort out of gardening, an electric edging tool like this one could be a smart pick. It’s small and convenient to use, it charges quickly and can give you up to an hour of run time on a single charge. The anti-block system also prevents it from jamming.
This tool comes with different attachments for grass and shrubs – but be aware that it isn’t particularly powerful. For tougher jobs, you’ll need something with a bit more kick. Also, it’s a bit noisy for such a small tool, although it’s hardly excessive and is certainly bearable.
To summarise, a versatile battery-powered edging tool that will come in handy for a range of uses. It isn’t too expensive, making it a good choice if you want a tool you can turn to whenever you need to take care of odd jobs or keep your garden looking presentable.
- Cordless electric tool – small and convenient to use
- Fast charge – don’t need to wait for too long for it to be ready to go again
- Suitable for shrubs as well as grass – comes with 2 attachments
- Good battery life – runs for up to around an hour on one charge
- Anti-block system – prevents it from jamming up
- Not especially powerful – but ideal for small jobs
- Noisy – not the quietest tool around
10. TECCPO Cordless Grass Shear
This is a similar electric edging tool to the one above, but it sells at a more budget-friendly price point. It features two separate attachments for edging work and cutting shrubs, and you don’t need to use any tools to switch them. It takes just 100 minutes to charge fully via USB.
However, compared to the Bosch model, the battery life is slightly shorter, giving you a maximum of only about 45 minutes. Also, it can sometimes get stuck when dealing with tougher jobs, although it will slice through grass with ease.
This is a handy tool to own for trimming the edges, dealing with unkempt shrubs and any other basic garden maintenance jobs you need it for. It works well and is easy to use, and at such a low price for a tool like this, you can hardly go wrong.
- Includes 2 tool attachments – for pruning and grass-cutting
- Toolless attachment changes – simply unclip one and clip on the other
- Charges in 100 minutes – via USB
- Adjustable handle length – makes it more comfortable to hold
- Very reasonable price – great value for money
- Shorter battery life – only up to around 45 minutes maximum
- Can get stuck – especially when tackling tougher jobs
If you’re looking for a pair of edging shears for your garden, you’ll probably be wondering about the type of features you should pay attention to – so let’s think about that now.
Electric, long-handle or hand shears
There are basically three types of edging shears, and the first thing you need to do is decide which to go for.
Hand shears are the simplest and least expensive, and they will get the job done well. However, you’ll need to work on your hands and knees, so they’re not the best pick if you have any mobility issues.
Long-handle shears allow you to do the same job from a standing position, making them a better pick if you can’t bend over or work on the floor – but the main drawback is that they can be more expensive.
Finally, electric tools take all the hard work out of edging. However, they have limited battery life and will need recharging. They are also usually more expensive than manual tools.
Quality and material of blade
Whichever type you decide to buy, one of the key things to look at is the quality of the blade. How sharp is it? How easy is it to resharpen? How well does it cut? What material is it made of? And is it resistant to rust and corrosion? These are all questions to consider before buying.
Length of blade
The length of the blade is another important aspect. Longer blades will allow you to work faster because you can trim more grass with each cut, but a shorter blade will give you more manoeuvrability. When deciding, you need to weigh up which is more important to you.
Ease of use
Any edging shears should be easy to use, whichever type you buy. Hand shears should be comfortable to hold, and they should provide enough cutting force to deal with grass or anything else you need to cut.
Long-handle shears should be the right height for you so you don’t need to stoop to use them – otherwise, you will quickly develop back pain.
Electric shears should be easy to operate and comfortable to hold. If they have different tool attachments, they should also be easy to switch over.
A useful feature to look for is a blade that can rotate, allowing you to select the angle for cutting. This will allow you to use the same tool to cut grass on flat surfaces like your lawn as well as trimming the edges.
Plenty of great options to choose from
As you can see, whether you want long-pole shears, hand shears or an electric edging tool, there are plenty of great options to choose from.
If you’ve decided you need a lawn edging tool for your garden but are having trouble making up your mind which to go for, any of the picks from our review would be a great place to start your search.